The Best Mouse Traps of 2021
Despite their small size, mice are troublesome when invading your home’s cabinets, crawl spaces, garbage cans, and other areas. They are in search of food and, until they find it, they chew your home’s interior structures. Controlling mice using a cat might not be as effective as a commercial mouse trap.
In this guide, we discuss mouse traps that work effectively, are cost-efficient, and, in some cases, offer humane solutions. Several types of mice traps are available on the market, so you must conduct thorough research regarding the best mousetrap for elimination or catch and release.
The best mouse traps of 2021
- Best for your budget: Victor metal pedal mouse trap
- Best classic mouse trap: Authenzo SX-5006
- Best electric: Abco Tech electronic humane rodent zapper
- Best humane mouse trap: Authenzo Humane Mouse Trap
- Best overall: Intruder 30442 The Better Mousetrap, 6-Pack
- Honorable mentions: D-Con Ultra Set Covered Snap Trap, Snap-E Mouse Trap, Tomcat Press ‘N Set Mouse Trap, Trapper T-Rex Rat Trap, Victor Tin Cat Live Mouse Trap
The research methodology for curating this list of best mouse traps includes looking at factors including budget, ease of use, and effectiveness. Other factors included traditional use, humane options, innovative electronic traps, and bait trap considerations.
Best for your budget: Victor metal pedal mouse trap, 8-pack
The Victor Metal Pedal Mouse Trap is ideal for those who are looking for pest control while on a budget. This mouse trap features a classic snap trap design and does not include any bells or whistles. In addition to having a simple design, these mice traps are also affordable. Because it does not depend on batteries, these traps are ideal for indoor and outdoor environments.
Working these traps involves placing bait on the metal pedal. Be careful that you do not catch your fingers in this trap’s metal bar. One of the drawbacks of this budget option is that mice can steal the bait. Therefore, it is ideal to use sticky bait like peanut butter. Additional considerations regarding why this trap is best for your budget are:
- Cost: $9.99 for a pack of eight
- Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Key features that set it apart: Wooden base, metal trip pedal, lightweight and poison-free
- Amazon reviews: Consumers love that these mouse traps work, mice cannot move sticky bait and they are reliable. Other consumers do not like that they have to handle the dead mouse.
Best classic mouse trap: Authenzo SX-5006
In addition to producing mouse traps, Authenzo also makes traps for other wild animals, including moles and rabbits. These mouse traps are easy to set, inexpensive, and effective. The best part is that the user does not have to be an expert so that novices can set traps just as easily.
All you have to do is press a single button to set this mouse trap. Therefore, there are no worries about your fingers getting caught in bars. Despite how easy they are to set regarding safety, you must still keep them away from children and pets. Additional considerations regarding why this is the best classic mouse trap are as follows:
- Cost: $15.88 for a pack of 6
- Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Key features that set it apart: Easy to clean, features plastic and stainless steel, quick and effective
- Amazon reviews: Consumers are delighted by how quick and effective this mouse trap is for eliminating mice without them stealing bait. Other consumers had difficulty with some of the traps not functioning.
Abco Tech electronic humane rodent zapper: Best Electric
The Abco Tech electronic humane rodent zapper is a great electric option. One of the best features of an electric mouse trap is that it works instantly, making it more humane than more traditional mouse traps. Due to the high concentration of electric shock, mice cannot survive. Abco Tech uses this technology along with simple construction to create mouse traps that work.
Another key feature of this mouse trap is that the user cannot set it off. The main reason is that there is a sensor inside the mouse trap that detects whether or not a rodent enters the trap entirely. Despite that feature, the recommendation is to keep pets and children away from these traps. Other considerations regarding why this is the best electric mouse trap include:
- Cost: $47.97
- Weight: 1.95 pounds
- Key features that set it apart: Safe, smart detection technology, unique light indicator, and automatic rodent zapper
- Amazon reviews: Consumers love that this electronic mouse trap is easy to set up, effective, and works quickly. Other consumers had trouble keeping mice from stealing bait without getting electrocuted.
Best humane mouse trap: Authenzo Humane Mouse Trap
Because this mouse trap is made from plastic materials, that means it is easy to clean and reusable. It has the same operating mechanisms as a traditional cage model. You also set the bait similarly to using a cage trap. The difference is, when the mouse is trapped inside, there is no chance of it coming into contact with you before it is time for releasing.
This mouse trap’s construction allows for easy dismantling to clean parts separately. Even when activated, the Authenzo humane mouse trap does not hurt the animal or user. Because they are completely made from plastic, they are a more cost-effective option compared to other humane mouse traps. Other reasons why this is the best humane mouse trap include the following:
- Cost: $13.99 for a pack of two
- Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Key features that set it apart: Durable design, extremely humane, efficient, reusable and easy to set
- Amazon reviews: Consumers love that this is a mouse trap that works quickly, effectively, and without killing the mouse. Other consumers stated that the spring mechanism does not activate because the mouse is not heavy enough.
Best overall: Intruder 30442 The Better Mousetrap, 6-Pack
Because the Intruder 30442 mouse trap is available as a pack of six, that means you can place them in several areas throughout your home. Their stainless steel construction means these mouse traps are durable and easy to clean. That construction also means they are effective inside and outside.
For those who are frustrated by mice stealing bait, the design of this mouse trap solves that problem. There are trenches inside the trap that keep the bait in place better, which means successful mouse catching. There is a considerable amount of force when capturing rodents, so you must keep these traps away from pets and children. Other reasons why this is the best overall mouse trap include:
- Cost: $15.33 for a pack of 6
- Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Key features that set it apart: Simple design featuring only a few mechanical parts, effective, easy to set, easy to clean and reusable
- Amazon reviews: Consumers love that, once the trap is set off, other mice cannot come and steal the bait. Other consumers were frustrated because the mouse stole the bait without setting off the trap.
*Pricing information verified on 06/17/2020. Prices are subject to change.
Things to consider when shopping for mouse traps
There are many things to consider when shopping for mouse traps that work. Ultimately, you want to find the best mouse trap regarding effectiveness, ease of use, and whether or not it is humane. Other shopping considerations include:
- Ease of use and effectiveness: Because many do not want traps to catch their fingers, choosing one that is easy to set up is critical. Choose a trap that is effective for elimination or catch and release.
- Types of mouse traps: There are many different types of mouse traps, including snap traps, glue traps, electronic traps, and humane traps. These types of traps also feature different sizes, costs, and key features.
- Mouse baits: The majority of mouse traps work best when using a sticky bait like peanut butter. The main reason is that mice love the scent and taste of seeds and nuts.
- Safety: Some traps snap with a considerable amount of force. So, if you have children or pets in your home, it might be a good idea to choose a trap that does not hurt them.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most effective mouse trap bait?
Because it is sticky, many consumers swear by using peanut butter. Not only does it stick to the trap, but peanut butter is impossible for mice to steal.
Where should I set a mouse trap?
It is best to set traps where you see the most activity. Typically, this includes along walls, behind objects, in darkened corners, or behind appliances.
How do I know if I have a mouse infestation?
Just because you see one mouse, that does not necessarily mean you have an infestation. Look for signs that include rodent droppings, tracks, tail trails, strange noises, and stale odors.
What attracts mice to homes?
Mice look for food, shelter, and warmth. So, before the winter months approach, look for mouse traps that work toward preventing them from entering your home.
SET UP INTERNET