Veteran-Owned Moving Companies to Use For Your Next Move
Moving is an exciting time of your life, offering new beginnings and new opportunities. It’s also the perfect time to give back to your community, like supporting a local charity with your unused items and putting your financial support behind a local, veteran-owned moving company.
In fact, U.S. military veterans account for nearly 340,000 of all employer-owned businesses, so when you support the business, you are also supporting everyone else working for that company – nearly four million workers across the country.
Did you know that of all veteran-owned businesses, transportation companies are the second largest category? U.S. military veterans are 45% more likely to be self-employed than non-veterans and owning a moving or shipping company fits that lifestyle well.
“This may be in part because they have a unique skill set to share and they have been taught leadership skills in the military that are a great foundation for entrepreneurship,” said Will Post, who is a veteran and is the founder and CEO of Hound & Gatos Pet Foods Corporation.
By choosing to work with a veteran-owned moving company for your next move, you are aiding in the financial and personal success of someone who put their country first, often leaving family and friends behind, to serve our country.
Here are 10 veteran-owned and operated moving companies from across the country:
1. Ed’s Moving & Storage
Owned by U.S. military veteran Scott Coyle, Ed’s Moving & Storage supports the Wounded Warrior Project and other local, Washington state-based organizations. “We believe the sacrifices people have made should not go unnoticed, and we are proud to support our veterans when they venture onto the next chapters of their lives.”
The company’s moving services include local, intrastate, interstate, international, corporate, military, and port and packing services.
2. Veteran Movers
Jesse Gartman is the founder of Veteran Movers, “I founded Veteran Movers in 2011 after leaving the service. I wanted to support my fellow U.S. veterans by providing them with job opportunities and a future. Today, the organization is fully staffed by a “band of brothers” who, after serving their country overseas, is now serving New York City’s moving needs.”
The company offers local and long-distance moving, packing, and unpacking services and storage options.
3. Movers of Honor
Based in Rhode Island, Movers of Honor is run by Mark Lopez, a U.S. Marine Corps veteran. “My Mission in life is to get as many veterans working as possible! If I can make a difference in a fellow veteran’s life I can say ‘Mission Complete Sir!’”
The company hires veterans, active duty, reservists, national guard, ROTC, and civilians to complete their “moving missions” that include local moving, labor, and packing services.
4. ATX Movers
ATX Movers is owned and operated by Mickey Schroeder, a U.S. Army veteran who served overseas in Operation Iraqi Freedom I & III. Mickey takes a personal interest in assuring that all ATX Movers customers are satisfied with their outstanding dedication and care.
The company offers apartment and residential moving services as well as piano and safe moving, serving Austin, TX, and the surrounding areas.
5. My Heroes Moving & Hauling
My Heroes Moving & Hauling provides moving services throughout Colorado Springs, CO, and the surrounding areas. The owner, Israel Reyes served in the U.S. Army for seven years.
The company offers full-service moves, office, or specialty moves, and will provide labor-only moving quotes, where the customer picks up their own truck.
6. Military Muscle Movers
Military Muscle Movers (previously Vets Moving and Hauling) was founded by Jordan Fowler. He says it all started after his deployment and “10 years later, we have grown because of our willingness to please the customer, the company strives to exceed customers’ expectations every time it makes a move. Our movers are all 100% U.S military veterans with clean backgrounds, we only carry professional-grade equipment to better serve our customers at NO additional cost.”
Based in Indiana, the company offers home moving and corporate relocation services.
7. Motivated Military Movers
Motivated Military Movers, located in San Diego, Calif., was founded in 2008 by U.S. Navy Corpsman Terry Wagner, with the goal of hiring 100% military veterans.
The company owner understands that transitioning from the military can be difficult and being around other vets, and getting immediate employment while learning a new trade and military skills makes that transition easier.
8. USA Family Moving
USA Family Moving serves movers in Georgia and Minnesota. Veteran-owned for over 20 years, they offer local and long-distance moving, packing services, emergency moving help, storage and warehousing options, specialty installations, labor-only moving, and more.
The company also provides moving resources, disassembly, and reassembly of furniture, vehicle moving, and more.
9. Right Way Movers
Right Way Movers of California is owned by military veteran Monte Goren who says, “After I was honorably discharged, I found myself jobless without a college degree. I enjoy serving the public so I wanted to create a job that ultimately turned into a business. I wanted to create an opportunity which could provide for my family while also serving my community.”
The company specializes in moving within San Diego and Los Angeles counties. Their staff includes military veterans and offers discounts to other military members.
10. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK Boise®
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® Boise is run by Terry Bruns who bought the franchise in March 2012. A U.S. Air Force veteran, Terry says, “I love being part of such a great team. A team that goes out and lives our mission statement and core values day in and day out.”
The company offers local and long-distance moving, junk removal, and storage services.
Find a veteran-owned business
Looking for businesses owned and operated by U.S. military veterans? Veteran-Owned Business is a directory with over 36,000 listings in all 50 states that is searchable by topic and location.
Resources for veterans
If you are a veteran and are having issues with housing or need to make a move and are looking for some discounts, chances are there is help out there to make your transition easier.
- About: Veterans Inc. is a nonprofit headquartered in Massachusetts and serving New England. The agency provides housing help with a range of support services including meals, an employment and training program, legal and medical advice, and special services related to PTSD, substance abuse, and other challenges faced by veterans. The agency also offers help with home modifications like wheelchair ramps, installing appropriate flooring, adjusting bathroom fixtures, etc.
- Who is eligible: U.S. military veterans
- Good fit for: Homeless or housing-insecure veterans
Arpin Van Lines
- About: Arpin Van Lines provides discounted moving services between September and April for off-peak military veteran movers. You can also be eligible for $150 off the total price of your move, a timespan delivery guarantee – they deliver within the agreed-upon window or they pay you $150 per day, 15% off full replacement value protection, $25 per day claims guarantee if the claims resolution letter isn’t received within 30 days.
Who is eligible: Any veteran of any branch of the U.S. Military or U.S. National Guard.
Best fit for: Someone moving between September and April, looking for good discounts.
Veterans Administration Housing Assistance
- About: VA housing assistance can help veterans, service members, and their surviving spouses to buy a home or refinance a loan. They also offer benefits and services to help you build, improve, or keep your current home.
- Who is eligible: Service requirements vary, so check your eligibility here.
- Best fit for: Any veteran from first-home buyers to retirees.
Military One Source
- About: Military OneSource provides vets and families with information, online tools, and personalized support to help with moves and housing.
- Who is eligible: This federally-funded program is available to nearly everyone with military service and family members. Check here to see if you are eligible for services.
- Best fit for: Most vets or their families who need help with a variety of issues including moving, housing, education, finances, and more.
Cord Moving Services
- About: Offering moving services in Memphis and St. Louis, Cord Moving has veteran relocation services and provides a discount for those who are serving or have served. They provide local, long-distance and commercial moving services.
- Who is eligible: Active and former military service members
- Best fit for: Soldiers or former military looking for a discounted move and also looking to work with a company that supports the Gary Sinise Foundation and the USO.
SET UP INTERNET
Moving soon? Compare the top providers in your area.