First American Home Warranty Reviews
Serving more than 590,000 customers out of its California headquarters, First American Home Warranty initially launched in 1984. For nearly 40 years, the company’s mission has been to offer customers 24-hour access to coverage seven days a week. In 2019, First American Home Warranty saved consumers over $177 million, with 63% of customers filing a claim. The company offers a “find an office” tool to help you find a location closest to you. Out of 1,614 First American home Warranty reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB), the company sees an average three-star rating.
First American Home Warranty coverage at a glance:
- Plan options: Basic and Premier
- Length of contract: 1 year
- Offers services in 35 states
- Prices start at… $290 for a single-family home in mountain states
- Service fees: $75–$100
- Length of work guarantee: 30 days (page 8)
- BBB Rating: B+
- Trustpilot rating: Great
How First American compares:
|First American Home Warranty||American Home Shield||Choice Home Warranty|
|Plan options||Basic and Premier||Systems plan, combo plan, and appliances plan||Total Plan and Basic Plan|
|Length of contract||1 year||1 year||1 year|
|Availability||35 states||49 states||47 states|
|Price||Starting at $290 for a single-family home in mountain states||Starting at $299 annually||Starting at approximately $1 per day|
|Service Fees||$75–$100||Up to $75–125||$85|
|Length of work guarantee||30 days||30 days||90 days for parts and 60 days for labor|
First American pros and cons:
A deeper look at First American Home Warranty
First American Home Warranty offers 2 plans:
If customers pay the annual premium for either plan, then First American Home Warranty waives the $3 handling fee during every month of the contract.
What does it cost?
What does it cover?
What does it cost?
What does it cover?
- Additional refrigeration: $4 per month for up to 4 units
- Central air conditioning (electric): $9 per month
- First-class upgrade: $9 per month
- Pool and (or) spa equipment: $15 per month
- Well pump: $7 per month
Does First American Home Warranty have coverage limits?
Coverage limits include the maximum amount, or cap, that First American Home Warranty covers for the repair or replacement of systems and appliances. If the costs for repairs or a replacement exceeds the coverage limits, then it is the consumer’s responsibility to pay the difference out of pocket. Consumers can expect to see the following dollar limits:
- Plumbing: Items that are encased by or covered with concrete are limited to $500
- Water heater: Diagnosing, accessing and repairing or replacing heat pumps or water heaters are limited to $1,500
- Heating: Water heater and heating combination units and heat pumps are limited up to $1,500
- Ductwork: If ductwork is below a concrete slab or is encased by concrete, there is a limit of up to $500
- Central air conditioning: Diagnosing, accessing, repairing or replacing units is limited to up to $1,500 for heat pumps and combination units
- Pool or spa equipment: There is a limit of up to $1,500 for circuit boards and saltwater cells
- Refrigerators: If purchased, there is a limit of up to $3,500
- Additional refrigeration: If purchased, there is a limit of up to $1,000
- Well pump: Limit of up to $1,500 for one well pump per home
- Septic tank pump or system: Tank systems have a limit of up to $500
First American Home Warranty reviews
First American Home Warranty has a BBB accreditation that went into effect May of 2000. The company’s rating with the BBB is B+, which is based on 2,961 customer complaints. First American Home Warranty receives an average three-star rating based on 1,620 customer reviews at the time this article was written. Many customers love how much money they are saving, while others had issues with contractors showing up on time.
After receiving 4,474 reviews on Trustpilot, First American Home Warranty has an average of four stars. That equates to a “Great” rating for the company overall. Five-star ratings include those from customers who love the service and professionalism. One-star ratings are from those who do not believe there is enough coverage and report difficulty reaching customer service.
The bottom line
A First American Home Warranty covers the repair or replacement costs for appliances and home systems for the full year of your agreement. Opting for First American Home Warranty coverage means you have a choice between two plans, each running for one year and including a 30-day workmanship guarantee. Both plans cover appliances, but you can only find system coverage through the Premium plan. There are optional coverages you can select for a small monthly fee. As is typical with home warranties, plans are subject to a service call fee and coverage limits, which are based according to the appliance or system that needs repair or replacement. First American Home Warranty has a stronger reputation than many other national home warranty companies, so they may be a good choice for many homeowners.
Frequently asked questions
How does First American Home Warranty work?
Choose between the Basic or Premium plan to receive coverage for the appliances you depend on regularly. The warranty plan you select pays for the repair or replacement of these systems or appliances up to the coverage limits.
What is first-class upgrade First American Home Warranty?
For an additional fee, you can receive coverage for building permits, limited building code upgrade requirements, improper modifications and installations, and appliance or system disposal following replacement. There is also additional coverage for faucet replacement, toilet system replacements, garage door opener, heating registers, and ductwork.
Is First American Home Warranty worth it?
Appliances and systems that you typically use will break down over time, and repair/replacement costs can be significant. The decision to purchase a home warranty comes down to how old your home and appliances are, as well as how much cash you have available to cover the cost if something breaks down. First American Home Warranty has a solid reputation, making it a strong choice if you decide a home warranty is important for you.