How to Save Money on Furniture by Knowing What to Keep
When you’re ready for a new look for your home, your budget may not stretch far enough to replace every piece of furniture in a room. Keeping what you love and what works in your home while strategically adding new pieces is a great way to save money.
Whether you’re redecorating or moving, knowing what to keep is essential. So how do you make hard decisions about what stays and what goes?
Drawing up a simple floorplan of your space is the first step to knowing how much furniture you’ll need. Then, measuring out and taping your new layout will help you see what will work in your space. You’ll be able to easily pinpoint holes where you need to add new furniture.
What furniture styles are the easiest to add to your space?
When you bring new furniture into your home, you don’t have to stay with the same style as your existing decor. That said, there are styles that are easier to incorporate. Look for furniture that has simple and clean lines, like contemporary and mid-century modern pieces. Adding these styles can also give your space a trendy update without a big price tag.
Transitional is a comfortable style that draws from traditional and contemporary lines. This popular style works well for updating a traditional home without going in an entirely different decorating direction.
If your room already has a strong style story, simple additions won’t detract from what you already have in there. If your room is neutral or decorated in simple furnishings, then look for dynamic new pieces that give your space that pulled-together look.
How to make the biggest impact with new furniture
Purchasing the right furniture and accessories can make a big impact on your room, even if you only choose a few items. Here are the furnishings that make the biggest splash:
- Accent Chairs: Create a new conversation area in your living room.
- Dining Room Chairs: Colorful chairs can be the answer to a boring dining room.
- Dining Room Bench: Need a little more space for dining? A new bench can replace two dining room chairs and give your table an updated look.
- Bedroom Accent Chair or Bench: Every bedroom benefits from a simple seating space.
- Console Table for Foyer: Add this accent piece to liven up your home’s entryway.
- Ottomans and Poufs: Bold colors and boho fabrics are the on-trend looks right now.
- Sofa and Chair Covers: High-quality furniture covers can extend the life of your sofa and chairs and incorporate new colors and textures into your room.
- New Lamps: Lamps and light fixtures can feel dated after several years. A new lamp is an effortless mood-lifter for a sleepy room.
How to use color to style your new and old furniture together
Color is the element that can tie your existing furniture with your newly-purchased pieces. Using color as the unifying feature in your space is a simple way to make your new style look effortless. Here’s how to make the most out of color in your rooms:
- Use Your Existing Color Palette: If you love your color palette now, then shop for new furniture and decor that works with everything you already have — simple!
- Add One or Two New Accent Colors: Have fun with color by adding new decor to your color scheme.