How to Send a Change of Address Form in the Mail | My Move

How to Send a Change of Address Form in the Mail

Author: Vince Font

A lot of people think that in order to fill out a USPS change of address form you've actually got to physically get to your local Post Office and complete the form in person; but like the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat. But that's gross.

Let's just say that there's more than one way to submit a Post Office change of address. While changing your address online is the easiest way to do it, some of you old-timers out there might prefer to submit your change of address by mail. And why not? This is the Post Office you're dealing with, after all.

Getting Ahold of a USPS Change of Address by Mail

You can get your hands on a change of address form by going to the nearest Post Office and requesting PS Form 3575 – Change of Address, or by going online and printing the form out for yourself. If you're unable to do either, you can contact your mail carrier or local Post Office and ask that the form be delivered to you.

How to Fill Out a Post Office Change of Address Form

Once you've got the form in hand, fill it out. The information the PS Form 3575 – Change of Address asks you to complete isn't extensive, and you won't be required to provide a birth certificate or blood sample. It's as simple as filling out your old address, providing your new address, and checking off a few boxes. Here's how. Be sure to print legibly in blue or black ink. No rainbow colored pens and frilly cursive allowed if you want your mail to get delivered to the right place.

Important: Only the addressee is allowed to fill out the change of address form, unless the person doing so on their behalf is their official guardian, authorized officer, executor or agent.

  • Check the appropriate box indicating if you're an individual, a family, or a business.
  • Check the appropriate box that asks you if the change of address is temporary. If you're going to be gone for less than 12 months, mark "temporary." Anything over 12 months is considered permanent.
  • Next, fill in the date you want your mail to start being forwarded to your new address. If your move is temporary (under 12 months), also indicate what date you want mail delivery to revert to your original address.
  • Print your last name, then your first name. If you're submitting the change of address for a business, also print the name of your business.
  • Print your old mailing address including city, state, ZIP Code and applicable apartment number or suite number. This is the address that you're currently occupying and want mail to stop being delivered to.
  • Print your new mailing address, also with city, state, ZIP Code and any applicable apartment or suite number.
  • Print your name, then add your signature on the line below it.
  • Print the current date in the box next to that.

You've Got Options

As we alluded to earlier, the United States Post Office also lets you submit a change of address online or by phone. Both methods charge a $1 verification fee, but are well worth the additional cost due to the added security it brings. In order to prevent anyone from getting online or calling in and requesting to have your mail forwarded to your new address without your knowing about it, the Post Office performs an additional step that verifies your identity by matching up your credit card information to your current address.

Once this verification is complete, your change of address is submitted and the $1 fee is charged. If you'd rather save the buck, fill out the form and either mail or deliver it to your local Post Office branch.