Twists on Tradition: Good Housewarming Gifts that Include Salt, Bread or Brooms
1. Salt is supposed to make life in a new home "flavorful" or exciting. Why not give a nice salt shaker and pepper mill set that will match the new kitchen or dining room decor? You can also add a sea-salt shaker into the mix. This healthier alternative to regular table salt adds intense flavor to foods.
2. Everyone loves home-baked bread. Wrap a loaf in a bread basket with a locally-made brand of jam, jelly or apple butter for a perfect housewarming gift.
3. Instead of just a broom, consider a laundry basket, trash bin, bucket or basket-full of cleaning items for the new home. You can never have enough common household items like sponges, Brillo pads, Windex, Lysol and paper towels. For "green" friends, find eco-friendly versions of these products, or make a gift basket of reusable towels, vinegar, baking soda, dish soap and lemon juice, useful for cleaning nearly everything.
Beyond Tradition: More Good Housewarming Gifts
4. It's become a US tradition to bring a bottle of wine or a fine food (such as a gourmet cheese and crackers tray) to a housewarming party. If your host and hostess enjoy wine, this is a great gift. Consider including a decorative wine topper wrapped around the bottle with a pretty ribbon.
5. Bring a plant to liven up the new home. What new home can't benefit from a little greenery? Choose something small that your host or hostess will be able to find a space for, perhaps on the kitchen table or coffee table. In Feng Shui tradition, three-stalked bamboo wrapped with red ribbon brings good luck to anyone's home, making it a great housewarming gift. Other good plants include jade, aloe, or even fresh herbs like mint and parsley in decorative pots. Fresh-cut flowers, of course, also make a great housewarming gift.
6. Towels or linens. Even if the host and hostess already have towels, it's always nice to have new towels for a new home. You can also put together a gift set of dishtowels and pot holders. These items seem to wear out quickly and it's always nice to have new items in a new home. Just make sure you check the colors in their new home before making a purchase.
7. A gift card for a home improvement store is always the perfect gift for someone who just moved into a new home or apartment. Even if they didn't purchase a "fixer-upper" home, there's always something you need in a new space, and home improvement stores sell it all: paint, curtains and drapery, throw rugs, closet organizers, cleaning products and so much more.