Voting and Other Government Resources | My Move

Voting and Other Government Resources

Author: Nancy LaFever

You've moved. You're unpacking. The worst part is over. You should be proud. But brace yourself because there's more. You don't want to forget to take care of important government-related responsibilities in the first few weeks at your new home. Start by locating your city offices.

Register to Vote in Your New Neighborhood

If you're not a registered voter, you can conveniently fill out an online voter registration form here. If you were a registered voter and you've moved outside of your old jurisdiction, you can re-register in your new jurisdiction using the same form. Try to do so before your state's registration deadline (if you plan on voting in the next election).

Your voter registration confirmation will tell you where your new polling station is located.

Update Rover's License

Hopefully your dog has had his rabies vaccination because it's required to get a license or update his information. You will need to provide the proof-of-vaccination form that your vet gave you, even if he has a license.

Dog licensing is usually overseen by your county auditor's office. Check the county website to see where you can change your address and update your dog's licensing information. If you have questions, call the county auditor's office.

Update Your License

Although you might think that you need to update your driver's license at the Bureau/Department/Registry of Motor Vehicles in person, many states now allow you to do so online. If you want to update your address by mail, you'll need to print their change of address form and mail it in with a fee. If you are remaining in the same state, some states allow you to print a sticker with your new address and affix it to the back of your old license.

Get a Parking Permit

You may have moved to an area that requires you to have a parking permit for street, condo or public-garage parking. Where you obtain your permit will depend on who issues the permits. Research the permit requirements for both your own use and that of a visitor space. Next, make a visit to your appropriate city offices.

Usually, condos have at least one allotted space. If you need additional parking, contact your condo association to see if it's an option and to find out what you need to do. If you are in an area of the city that has limited street parking, contact the neighborhood association or the city. Depending on your area, you may have to apply for your parking permit in person. Be sure you have documentation that proves your eligibility, such as a utility bill postmarked to your new address.

Miscellaneous Government Resources

You can find a plethora of the essential government resources on your city, state or county website. These sites may also contain local events calendars, a telephone directory, property tax information, library information, restaurant inspections and more.