Checklist | My Move
Moving. Minus the Stress.
- Sell or donate unwanted items.
- Compare options for TV, Internet and phone service.
- Arrange to discontinue utilities and services at your old home.
- Set up gas, electricity, and other utilities at your new home.
- Learn how to avoid getting swindled. Check out our Moving Scams Infographic.
- Create a meal plan for the days leading up to your move. Stop buying perishables.
- Change or update your insurance provider: you might qualify for a lower rate based on your new neighborhood.
- If you're moving a refrigerator, defrost it 24 hours before the move.
- Book a mover or truck rental and arrange for storage.
Notify People About Your Move
Packing and Moving
- Begin cleaning and destocking process (sweep mop floors, clean out fridge, etc.)
- Make move day arrangements for travel, lodging, children, the elderly, pets, etc.
- Make an inventory list for insurance purposes.
- Check out our Last-Minute Move Prep Video.
- Check your safe deposit box. Make sure you have birth certificates, passports, and other documents. Get everything back from the dry cleaners, spare keys from neighbors, etc.
- Create your Move Day Survival Kit of things you'll need on move day. Include payment for movers and cash for move day tipping, medications, tools, chargers, flashlights, parking permits, keys to your new home, snacks, toiletries, etc.
- Stock up on moving essentials, like boxes and packing material.